6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerWY
November 22, 2015, 5:41pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Cracking post Paris Mariner. Very good points.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
rancido
November 22, 2015, 5:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I think Freeman Street/The Docks is the best option. The latter because we could call the stadium "Docklands" or "The Fish Dock 5 Football Ground" which greatly amuse me in my Sunday boredom today.

Why I like these to ideas are because they will;

a) hopefully help regenerate the area. Builders working on the ground, the eventual match goers and then the alleged day to day use will surely give the pubs, cafes, shops etc around there reason to keep on going and bring other businesses in the area.

b) there are the only sites that are in decent proximity to a train station on foot. Northern Rail could add in a stop at the Docks station on match days so people can get off closer to the ground, for example. Having access via train is important because i) people like going to the match on the train. It makes for a great day out. Not having the option puts some away fans off and we should be building a ground that encourages away fans as much as home fans. ii) it is good for the environment. We should all be encouraging use of public transport in getting to football.

c) it is close to the A180. Ok, access isn't great and when all the traffic coming off the A180 gets there it has nowhere to go which will cause a traffic jam. This will only occur on match days and I challenge anyone to point out a sporting arena which isn't troubled by traffic jams on a match day. It's par for the course.

d) I think stadiums that have been rebuilt centrally to the towns and cities they are based in have been ultimately more successful. People can still walk there, use the pubs and shops around the place they usually do. This is very important for people's match going experience. I also believe a 'community facility' needs to be central too. A community facility is useless on the periphery in Great Coates or Laceby.

As far as I'm aware the only Northern Rail service is the Barton train which I don't think brings that many fans to watch GTFC. I think this rail link approach is overrated as we already have two stations in the area ( Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes ) , the others at Clee and Grimsby Docks are not served by Trans-Pennine and are consequently out of the equation as I cannot see them changing their timetables to accommodate a possible increase in passengers on match days.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 5:46pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from rancido

As far as I'm aware the only Northern Rail service is the Barton train which I don't think brings that many fans to watch GTFC. I think this rail link approach is overrated as we already have two stations in the area ( Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes ) , the others at Clee and Grimsby Docks are not served by Trans-Pennine and are consequently out of the equation as I cannot see them changing their timetables to accommodate a possible increase in passengers on match days.

Trans-Pennine Express is run by Northern Rail, is it not? I believe it is. My point was that, if the authorities enter into contact with them, I'm sure they'd be open to scheduling a stop around match day time e.g 2 hours before and after kick off, so people can use the service to travel to games.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 55
MarinerWY
November 22, 2015, 5:46pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from rancido

I don't think they will either. Still, Freeman Street is only 15 minutes walk tops from Grimsby Town station.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 5:48pm
Main Stander
Quoted from MarinerWY

I don't think they will either. Still, Freeman Street is only 15 minutes walk tops from Grimsby Town station.

I think you might be surprised. If it was built at the docks it would make sense to in any case. Brighton and Coventry (unsuccessfully) integrated rail travel into their new grounds which shows rail services are willing to adapt.

I take the point about it only being a fifteen minute walk from GY Town on Freemo though.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 55
barralad
November 22, 2015, 5:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

Trans-Pennine Express is run by Northern Rail, is it not? I believe it is. My point was that, if the authorities enter into contact with them, I'm sure they'd be open to scheduling a stop around match day time e.g 2 hours before and after kick off, so people can use the service to travel to games.

I'm afraid not. They are two separate companies. One of the issues with Great Coates was that the railway people wanted GTFC to pay for the upgrade to Great Coates stadium-at a prohibitive cost. Grimsby Docks station would need substantial upgrading. No prize for guessing who'd be expected to foot the bill. For me the access to the A180 is a red herring. How many home fans actually use that road to get to B.P. or would use it to get to Freemo? Bus links are a help but like it or not-and I don't drive you will never stop people using their cars. I can only assume you aren't familiar with the chaos around top town/freemo on a Saturday.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 6:06pm
Main Stander
Quoted from barralad

I'm afraid not. They are two separate companies. One of the issues with Great Coates was that the railway people wanted GTFC to pay for the upgrade to Great Coates stadium-at a prohibitive cost. Grimsby Docks station would need substantial upgrading. No prize for guessing who'd be expected to foot the bill. For me the access to the A180 is a red herring. How many home fans actually use that road to get to B.P. or would use it to get to Freemo? Bus links are a help but like it or not-and I don't drive you will never stop people using their cars. I can only assume you aren't familiar with the chaos around top town/freemo on a Saturday.

No, I come in from a different direction too but I think when you build a new ground these are obstacles to overcome not stop it getting off the ground. Surely any regeneration project, whether a stadium was included or not, would include these considerations as it is a problem.

If they are separate companies, then of course, I meant Trans-Pennine, but we're quite frankly nit picking there. #biggerpicturelads  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 55
barralad
November 22, 2015, 6:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

No, I come in from a different direction too but I think when you build a new ground these are obstacles to overcome not stop it getting off the ground. Surely any regeneration project, whether a stadium was included or not, would include these considerations as it is a problem.

If they are separate companies, then of course, I meant Trans-Pennine, but we're quite frankly nit picking there. #biggerpicturelads  

I would just rather see one built somewhere where the obstacles don't exist to start with. Only Peakes Parkway fits the bill for me

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
rancido
November 23, 2015, 5:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad

I don't think it was the station , more a case of the crossing at the station. The thing was that upgrading the crossing was already part of Network Rails future improvement plan and I think they saw the proposed stadium as a means of making the club bear the cost even though they were going to upgrade it anyway.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
MuddyWaters
November 23, 2015, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

I would just rather see one built somewhere where the obstacles don't exist to start with. Only Peakes Parkway fits the bill for me

I agree. But then I believed there weren't many obstacles with Great Coates at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust View on new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.