November 24, 2015, 4:03pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,874
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Grimsby2012

I don't think that's the point. That kinda view  ("how to deprive Northern towns") you have, would have been perfect for the Gordon Brown recession era.

A football stadium wouldn't just bring us a new stadium. It would also provide basses for retail brands to open up, which in turn will create more jobs ( Less people on benefits ), more people purchasing products, which = more Tax and Vat for the government and of course, more investment that comes from the retailers. This in turn would mean less funding needed from the government, and from the club.

So yes, it would be a great move.

I think you've missed my point. I'd be all for the Government subsidising the cost of a new stadium near Freeman Street or Garth Lane which would in turn regenerate a deprived area. My previous post is suggesting there's no way a Conservative Government, currently going hand over fist to reduce government spending, would even begin to consider handing out any money to kick-start such a scheme, even if there is a clear economic case and multiplier effect (as you've mentioned) from doing so.

This is not a Government which is interested about investing to improve deprived areas and reducing the North/South divide. They'd rather get local councils to sign up for 'devolution', which is pretty much just a scheme for the Government to continue cutting funding towards local government while avoiding the flak for doing so. When cash starved local authorities have to cut even more public services, the Government will just say "it's not our fault, the local (usually Labour) council manage the budget so blame them".

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
Cod Cheeks
November 24, 2015, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you/we/Fenty are prepared to wait for all the red tape, compulsory purchase orders, demolitions etc. Haven't we waited long enough?

Yes I think it worth a bit longer to get it right
In my opinion freemo/docks would be best for all of Grimsby all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
November 24, 2015, 7:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you/we/Fenty are prepared to wait for all the red tape, compulsory purchase orders, demolitions etc. Haven't we waited long enough?

From what has been said in the press, it seems on the face of it that the Council has at last understood a new community type stadium is the ideal thing to reinvigorate a part of the town that is run down.

This is a far cry from the previous ideas that we needed a new stadium because Mr. Fenty didn't want us to stay at BP because he was losing too much money.

If the Council are being truthful, then I see this as a sea change and we can indulge them a few months more, in good faith, for them to make a final decision on which site would be best.

If they choose another site apart from Peaks Parkway I wonder how Mr.Fenty will react? It is vital we have a site that not only ticks all the boxes but that the stadium complex itself will be an iconic part of the town for several generations.

So I would wait a bit longer, yes. It is amazing this day and age how quickly things can move once they have been agreed, but on the other hand I have said many times that I don't think I will see a new stadium but even I am encouraged by the noises coming from the Council.

If we are disappointed again however, then they better get their tin hats on.  

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
MuddyWaters
November 24, 2015, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236

From what has been said in the press, it seems on the face of it that the Council has at last understood a new community type stadium is the ideal thing to reinvigorate a part of the town that is run down.

This is a far cry from the previous ideas that we needed a new stadium because Mr. Fenty didn't want us to stay at BP because he was losing too much money.

If the Council are being truthful, then I see this as a sea change and we can indulge them a few months more, in good faith, for them to make a final decision on which site would be best.

If they choose another site apart from Peaks Parkway I wonder how Mr.Fenty will react? It is vital we have a site that not only ticks all the boxes but that the stadium complex itself will be an iconic part of the town for several generations.

So I would wait a bit longer, yes. It is amazing this day and age how quickly things can move once they have been agreed, but on the other hand I have said many times that I don't think I will see a new stadium but even I am encouraged by the noises coming from the Council.

If we are disappointed again however, then they better get their tin hats on.  

Back in the real world, how long do you think it would take to get the CPOs to buy all the properties they would need to demolish on the East Marsh and removals of Listed building statuses etc on the Docks. I'm not known for my support for John Fenty but I'm right behind him on this one. Of course it would be great to re-invigorate depressed areas of the town but let's be a little bit more realistic about what's involved.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
louth_in_the_south
November 24, 2015, 9:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
Just a thought but when BP was built back whenever , would it have been considered an edge of town development similar to Peaks Parkway is now for us . In other words it probably would become surrounded by housing developments in the next 20 years giving it a more community feel .
I'd love it to be down freemo / docks area but can't see it baring a miracle or two .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
ginnywings
November 24, 2015, 9:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Just a thought but when BP was built back whenever , would it have been considered an edge of town development similar to Peaks Parkway is now for us . In other words it probably would become surrounded by housing developments in the next 20 years giving it a more community feel .
I'd love it to be down freemo / docks area but can't see it baring a miracle or two .

The houses were there before the ground which was moved from the Park Street area in 1899.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Widening-boundary/story-12732864-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
ginnywings
November 24, 2015, 9:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Sorry that's wrong. They moved form Clee Park to Abbey Park in 1889, then onto BP in 1899.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2015, 12:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Back in the real world, how long do you think it would take to get the CPOs to buy all the properties they would need to demolish on the East Marsh and removals of Listed building statuses etc on the Docks. I'm not known for my support for John Fenty but I'm right behind him on this one. Of course it would be great to re-invigorate depressed areas of the town but let's be a little bit more realistic about what's involved.

Well the council are in a better position to judge on these things and it would be ridiculous for them to prefer a site with no chance of going ahead - I might be wrong but I thought this process was to decide the best site whilst also taking into account whether it was actually feasible.

Like you, I have very little confidence in the council, but I am only going by what they are now saying. If they lead us up a blind alley then we will all be very miffed to say the least. I personally don't think we will see a new stadium anywhere, but we will see what transpires in the new year.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
toontown
November 25, 2015, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Yes and when the independent review by experts took place it rated freemo joint LAST on suitability/viability - the council added it to the shortlist anyway. As others have said this seems very odd, perhaps some influential people on the council wish to attempt to drive the freemo site to help with regeneration regardless of whether it's suitable or viable (due to the issues mentioned above)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
arryarryarry
November 25, 2015, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Are we anywhere nearer a new ground than we were 20 years ago?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust View on new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.