ackomariner
November 25, 2015, 10:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry
Are we anywhere nearer a new ground than we were 20 years ago?

Got no plans drawn up, don't know where it can be built, don't know where the money to pay for it is coming from......so I would say no

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2015, 3:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

The houses were there before the ground which was moved from the Park Street area in 1899.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Widening-boundary/story-12732864-detail/story.html

I did a quick check in the Dowling book on the development of Cleethorpes, and it shows the area bordered by what is now the Osmond Stand down to Warneford Road, and Grimsby Road to the railway was undeveloped as late as 1906.

Bob Lincoln said that the club had the chance of buying enough land not only for the football ground, but also for a cricket pitch, tennis courts etc. The proposal from some directors was to acquire the lease for the whole area and do just that, but in what Lincoln called short-sightedness, the board voted to the just buy the lease for enough land for the football ground. If this was correct we would have been able to redevelop in the BP area.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Davec
November 26, 2015, 6:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
KingstonMariner

Somebody will start blaming Fenty for that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
ginnywings
November 26, 2015, 8:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I did a quick check in the Dowling book on the development of Cleethorpes, and it shows the area bordered by what is now the Osmond Stand down to Warneford Road, and Grimsby Road to the railway was undeveloped as late as 1906.

Bob Lincoln said that the club had the chance of buying enough land not only for the football ground, but also for a cricket pitch, tennis courts etc. The proposal from some directors was to acquire the lease for the whole area and do just that, but in what Lincoln called short-sightedness, the board voted to the just buy the lease for enough land for the football ground. If this was correct we would have been able to redevelop in the BP area.

That's reflected in the house styles. Up to Manchester Street they are Victorian terraced but parts of Manchester Street, all of Warneford Road and Oliver Street, the houses are more Edwardian in style.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
Rik e B
November 26, 2015, 1:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Davec
KingstonMariner

Somebody will start blaming Fenty for that

Dam straight.

I blame Fenty for Mars slowing losing its atmosphere these last couple of million years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2015, 5:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rik e B

Dam straight.

I blame Fenty for Mars slowing losing its atmosphere these last couple of million years.

Used to be a cracking atmosphere there. Now it's dead but the Martians' away following is great - that "oh laa!" chant is awesome  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust View on new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.