6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Trawler
November 20, 2015, 1:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Thank God for the Trust. A lot of sense to be found in the link below.  More progress has been made than others might think.

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/stadium/

Have a read.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
DocTower
November 20, 2015, 2:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Nice positive read , however robust the council have been it does seem to most that they have been dragging their feet .whatever decision is made someone somewhere won't be happy .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
ginnywings
November 20, 2015, 3:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
That tallies with my thinking on the matter. The council are obviously tempted by the regeneration aspect to the 2 sites added, namely Freemo and the Docks, with the grants available to them for such a scheme. It could be a nice double whammy if it were to happen but it would be a far more complicated and protracted route than the PP one. Either way it sounds promising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
rancido
November 20, 2015, 3:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
It certainly makes very interesting reading and demonstrates how much is going on in the background that we fans know nothing about. It also questions the assistance that previous Council administrations , especially the LibDems under De Freitas, have given to this project. Maybe , as the statement says , this whole thing could have been sorted out several years ago if the whole idea of a community project had been looked into by the then Council.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
pizzzza
November 20, 2015, 7:34pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I am glad that people find this a positive delvelopment because I am rather struggling here Now, I don't claim to understand these things inside out but what happens if the council's study recommends a site that differs to the recommendation of the club's study (ie not Peaks Parkway)? I can only see that we enter another period of stalemate and the thing spins out for umpteen more years.

And even if the council does recommend PP we still need to secure this 'enabling development' right?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
grimsby pete
November 20, 2015, 7:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Can the Trust give us some idea when they think we will have a new stadium,

BECAUSE

I can not see it happening any time soon,

We have only been waiting about 20 years after all.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2015, 8:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido
It certainly makes very interesting reading and demonstrates how much is going on in the background that we fans know nothing about. It also questions the assistance that previous Council administrations , especially the LibDems under De Freitas, have given to this project. Maybe , as the statement says , this whole thing could have been sorted out several years ago if the whole idea of a community project had been looked into by the then Council.

I'd bet that the council is more supportive these days because the ordinary fans, through the Trust, have more ownership (literally) and more control of the cub than previously. It makes the whole idea of it being a community club/stadium more credible and therefore more likely to be worthy of support by public bodies.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
immariner
November 20, 2015, 10:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
I would dearly love the Freemo Street location to work for so many reasons: position being just off the A180 and not far from town, good transport links, regeneration of that sorry area (imagine that area in 10/20/30 years' time with little investment *shudders*). However, I'm struggling to envision how it would be feasible and how the site would be big enough for any enabling development (retail/houses) plus community facilities. It does seem that PP is the only viable solution without a framework being put forward for Freemo that would allow people to see beyond the obvious obstacles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
mirrorballman
November 21, 2015, 7:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
The whole picture changes if we can replace the need for enabling development with funding from councill/government grants, FSIF, fans etc.
This is a great opportunity for the council to act on either Garth Lane or Freemo. Two town centre brownfield sites, and as immariner points out, Freemo desperately needs something. It shouldn't be forgotten also that Garth Lane topped the SLR survey.
Can you imagine the buzz around the town on a matchday at either site? Amazing. It would be a boost for the club during the week too, having the club shop, ticket office, bar, restaurant in a location with greater passing footfall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
NorthseaMariner
November 21, 2015, 1:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
For me, I like the Morrisons scheme as you could build and sell houses there, as good a road links as yo get in Grimsby and room for car parks etc. I think. The down side is cost of the land. The GET said there would be complaints from Laceby, but I don't really think that should be a problem.
But at the end of the day I would just like to see a Stadium built somewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
ginnywings
November 21, 2015, 1:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
For me, I like the Morrisons scheme as you could build and sell houses there, as good a road links as yo get in Grimsby and room for car parks etc. I think. The down side is cost of the land. The GET said there would be complaints from Laceby, but I don't really think that should be a problem.
But at the end of the day I would just like to see a Stadium built somewhere

Too far out on a limb for my liking. Ok if you are a car owner but not everyone is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
grimsby pete
November 21, 2015, 5:13pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings

Too far out on a limb for my liking. Ok if you are a car owner but not everyone is.

Buses will run from all parts of town I would imagine,

I loved doing football specials in the 70's,

I got to see the game for free  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
NorthseaMariner
November 21, 2015, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Quoted from ginnywings

I know what you mean, but most of the central location don't have the road infrastructure for large crowds. I'm sure the transport problem isn't insurmountable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
barralad
November 21, 2015, 6:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

I know what you mean, but most of the central location don't have the road infrastructure for large crowds. I'm sure the transport problem isn't insurmountable.

Agree 100%.. People talk about the proximity to the A180 which is true but it does nothing for people coming from Scartho Nunsthorpe the villages or Cleethorpes for that matter. The cost of upgrading the road network would be phenomenal.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
easypeersy
November 21, 2015, 6:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Just get on with it! Get it built before I die! (and I am only 46)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
ginnywings
November 21, 2015, 6:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from easypeersy
Just get on with it! Get it built before I die! (and I am only 46)

You've got ten years on me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2015, 10:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Sound like some good stuff going on but I still feel that it is some way off.

I have not been to interested as I am not sure where the money is coming from but can't help thinking that if we stopped talking about a "complex" and just about 4 decent stands, a pitch, extra toilets and bars and hospitality boxes things may move quicker.

We have the ambition throughout the administration all we actually need is a joint venture partner with a few quid and a bit of clout.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Garth
November 22, 2015, 9:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

You've got ten years on me.

And thirty on me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
MarinerWY
November 22, 2015, 5:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Freeman Street would be fantastic. Iconic, in the heart of the Town, and providing much needed regeneration to that area - why not kill two birds with one stone.

Do we have to build new stadiums with car drivers as the number 1 priority all the time?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 5:07pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Approval: +809
I think Freeman Street/The Docks is the best option. The latter because we could call the stadium "Docklands" or "The Fish Dock 5 Football Ground" which greatly amuse me in my Sunday boredom today.

Why I like these to ideas are because they will;

a) hopefully help regenerate the area. Builders working on the ground, the eventual match goers and then the alleged day to day use will surely give the pubs, cafes, shops etc around there reason to keep on going and bring other businesses in the area.

b) there are the only sites that are in decent proximity to a train station on foot. Northern Rail could add in a stop at the Docks station on match days so people can get off closer to the ground, for example. Having access via train is important because i) people like going to the match on the train. It makes for a great day out. Not having the option puts some away fans off and we should be building a ground that encourages away fans as much as home fans. ii) it is good for the environment. We should all be encouraging use of public transport in getting to football.

c) it is close to the A180. Ok, access isn't great and when all the traffic coming off the A180 gets there it has nowhere to go which will cause a traffic jam. This will only occur on match days and I challenge anyone to point out a sporting arena which isn't troubled by traffic jams on a match day. It's par for the course.

d) I think stadiums that have been rebuilt centrally to the towns and cities they are based in have been ultimately more successful. People can still walk there, use the pubs and shops around the place they usually do. This is very important for people's match going experience. I also believe a 'community facility' needs to be central too. A community facility is useless on the periphery in Great Coates or Laceby.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 55
MarinerWY
November 22, 2015, 5:41pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Cracking post Paris Mariner. Very good points.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
rancido
November 22, 2015, 5:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I think Freeman Street/The Docks is the best option. The latter because we could call the stadium "Docklands" or "The Fish Dock 5 Football Ground" which greatly amuse me in my Sunday boredom today.

Why I like these to ideas are because they will;

a) hopefully help regenerate the area. Builders working on the ground, the eventual match goers and then the alleged day to day use will surely give the pubs, cafes, shops etc around there reason to keep on going and bring other businesses in the area.

b) there are the only sites that are in decent proximity to a train station on foot. Northern Rail could add in a stop at the Docks station on match days so people can get off closer to the ground, for example. Having access via train is important because i) people like going to the match on the train. It makes for a great day out. Not having the option puts some away fans off and we should be building a ground that encourages away fans as much as home fans. ii) it is good for the environment. We should all be encouraging use of public transport in getting to football.

c) it is close to the A180. Ok, access isn't great and when all the traffic coming off the A180 gets there it has nowhere to go which will cause a traffic jam. This will only occur on match days and I challenge anyone to point out a sporting arena which isn't troubled by traffic jams on a match day. It's par for the course.

d) I think stadiums that have been rebuilt centrally to the towns and cities they are based in have been ultimately more successful. People can still walk there, use the pubs and shops around the place they usually do. This is very important for people's match going experience. I also believe a 'community facility' needs to be central too. A community facility is useless on the periphery in Great Coates or Laceby.

As far as I'm aware the only Northern Rail service is the Barton train which I don't think brings that many fans to watch GTFC. I think this rail link approach is overrated as we already have two stations in the area ( Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes ) , the others at Clee and Grimsby Docks are not served by Trans-Pennine and are consequently out of the equation as I cannot see them changing their timetables to accommodate a possible increase in passengers on match days.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 5:46pm
Main Stander
Quoted from rancido

As far as I'm aware the only Northern Rail service is the Barton train which I don't think brings that many fans to watch GTFC. I think this rail link approach is overrated as we already have two stations in the area ( Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes ) , the others at Clee and Grimsby Docks are not served by Trans-Pennine and are consequently out of the equation as I cannot see them changing their timetables to accommodate a possible increase in passengers on match days.

Trans-Pennine Express is run by Northern Rail, is it not? I believe it is. My point was that, if the authorities enter into contact with them, I'm sure they'd be open to scheduling a stop around match day time e.g 2 hours before and after kick off, so people can use the service to travel to games.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 55
MarinerWY
November 22, 2015, 5:46pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I don't think they will either. Still, Freeman Street is only 15 minutes walk tops from Grimsby Town station.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 5:48pm
Main Stander
Quoted from MarinerWY

I don't think they will either. Still, Freeman Street is only 15 minutes walk tops from Grimsby Town station.

I think you might be surprised. If it was built at the docks it would make sense to in any case. Brighton and Coventry (unsuccessfully) integrated rail travel into their new grounds which shows rail services are willing to adapt.

I take the point about it only being a fifteen minute walk from GY Town on Freemo though.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 55
barralad
November 22, 2015, 5:59pm
Mariners Trust

Trans-Pennine Express is run by Northern Rail, is it not? I believe it is. My point was that, if the authorities enter into contact with them, I'm sure they'd be open to scheduling a stop around match day time e.g 2 hours before and after kick off, so people can use the service to travel to games.

I'm afraid not. They are two separate companies. One of the issues with Great Coates was that the railway people wanted GTFC to pay for the upgrade to Great Coates stadium-at a prohibitive cost. Grimsby Docks station would need substantial upgrading. No prize for guessing who'd be expected to foot the bill. For me the access to the A180 is a red herring. How many home fans actually use that road to get to B.P. or would use it to get to Freemo? Bus links are a help but like it or not-and I don't drive you will never stop people using their cars. I can only assume you aren't familiar with the chaos around top town/freemo on a Saturday.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Paris Mariner
November 22, 2015, 6:06pm
Main Stander
Quoted from barralad

I'm afraid not. They are two separate companies. One of the issues with Great Coates was that the railway people wanted GTFC to pay for the upgrade to Great Coates stadium-at a prohibitive cost. Grimsby Docks station would need substantial upgrading. No prize for guessing who'd be expected to foot the bill. For me the access to the A180 is a red herring. How many home fans actually use that road to get to B.P. or would use it to get to Freemo? Bus links are a help but like it or not-and I don't drive you will never stop people using their cars. I can only assume you aren't familiar with the chaos around top town/freemo on a Saturday.

No, I come in from a different direction too but I think when you build a new ground these are obstacles to overcome not stop it getting off the ground. Surely any regeneration project, whether a stadium was included or not, would include these considerations as it is a problem.

If they are separate companies, then of course, I meant Trans-Pennine, but we're quite frankly nit picking there. #biggerpicturelads  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 55
barralad
November 22, 2015, 6:36pm
Mariners Trust

No, I come in from a different direction too but I think when you build a new ground these are obstacles to overcome not stop it getting off the ground. Surely any regeneration project, whether a stadium was included or not, would include these considerations as it is a problem.

If they are separate companies, then of course, I meant Trans-Pennine, but we're quite frankly nit picking there. #biggerpicturelads  

I would just rather see one built somewhere where the obstacles don't exist to start with. Only Peakes Parkway fits the bill for me

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
rancido
November 23, 2015, 5:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I don't think it was the station , more a case of the crossing at the station. The thing was that upgrading the crossing was already part of Network Rails future improvement plan and I think they saw the proposed stadium as a means of making the club bear the cost even though they were going to upgrade it anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
MuddyWaters
November 23, 2015, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

I would just rather see one built somewhere where the obstacles don't exist to start with. Only Peakes Parkway fits the bill for me

I agree. But then I believed there weren't many obstacles with Great Coates at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
grimsby pete
November 23, 2015, 5:51pm

Exile
Whichever is chosen and finally built,( I still have doubts that I will ever see it )

Can only be better traffic wise than Blundell Park.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
pizzzza
November 23, 2015, 6:06pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from Trawler

Why is The Trust pushing The Club's preferred option onto its members? This reads to me like The Trust are representing The Club's views to its membership, when it should be the other way around.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
AdamHaddock
November 23, 2015, 6:34pm

Main Stander
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,837
Gold Stars: 26
The trust have representatives on the GTFC board so presumably they are presenting a consensus to their membership

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
Biccys
November 23, 2015, 6:36pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
It should also be "perspective" not "prospective".
Yours,
P. Dant

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 55
pizzzza
November 23, 2015, 6:54pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from AdamHaddock
The trust have representatives on the GTFC board so presumably they are presenting a consensus to their membership

But it should be the other way around, the Trust board representing the views of its membership.  Asking for votes on the Telegraph site is a tactic previously employed by Fenty, in fact this statement could have come straight from his pen!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
Cod Cheeks
November 24, 2015, 12:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
What an excellent opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Desperately needed Regeneration and a new stadium all in one if we go for Freemo or Docks

Government funded to boot!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Chrisblor
November 24, 2015, 1:29pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,860
Gold Stars: 235
Give me a break, like austerity fetishist Gideon Osborne is going to open up the Government coffers for a fancy new football stadium in a deprived northern town.

You can only get a taxpayer funded stadium if you're his mate (see West Ham / Karren Brady / Olympic Stadium). Fenty's a Conservative - maybe he can pull a few tory party strings?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
Grimsby2012
November 24, 2015, 1:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Chrisblor
Give me a break, like austerity fetishist Gideon Osborne is going to open up the Government coffers for a fancy new football stadium in a deprived northern town.

You can only get a taxpayer funded stadium if you're his mate (see West Ham / Karren Brady / Olympic Stadium). Fenty's a Conservative - maybe he can pull a few tory party strings?

I don't think that's the point. That kinda view  ("how to deprive Northern towns") you have, would have been perfect for the Gordon Brown recession era.

A football stadium wouldn't just bring us a new stadium. It would also provide basses for retail brands to open up, which in turn will create more jobs ( Less people on benefits ), more people purchasing products, which = more Tax and Vat for the government and of course, more investment that comes from the retailers. This in turn would mean less funding needed from the government, and from the club.

So yes, it would be a great move.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
MuddyWaters
November 24, 2015, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
What an excellent opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Desperately needed Regeneration and a new stadium all in one if we go for Freemo or Docks

Government funded to boot!

If you/we/Fenty are prepared to wait for all the red tape, compulsory purchase orders, demolitions etc. Haven't we waited long enough?
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
MarinerWY
November 24, 2015, 1:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Why is The Trust pushing The Club's preferred option onto its members? This reads to me like The Trust are representing The Club's views to its membership, when it should be the other way around.

I agree with this. Has the trust consulted it's members on which potential site they prefer and then represented that to the club? In fact, it would be a great idea for the trust to run some kind of consultation of it's members. Certainly before announcing their preference on where the Trust wants that new stadium to be...

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
Chrisblor
November 24, 2015, 4:03pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,860
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Grimsby2012

I don't think that's the point. That kinda view  ("how to deprive Northern towns") you have, would have been perfect for the Gordon Brown recession era.

A football stadium wouldn't just bring us a new stadium. It would also provide basses for retail brands to open up, which in turn will create more jobs ( Less people on benefits ), more people purchasing products, which = more Tax and Vat for the government and of course, more investment that comes from the retailers. This in turn would mean less funding needed from the government, and from the club.

So yes, it would be a great move.

I think you've missed my point. I'd be all for the Government subsidising the cost of a new stadium near Freeman Street or Garth Lane which would in turn regenerate a deprived area. My previous post is suggesting there's no way a Conservative Government, currently going hand over fist to reduce government spending, would even begin to consider handing out any money to kick-start such a scheme, even if there is a clear economic case and multiplier effect (as you've mentioned) from doing so.

This is not a Government which is interested about investing to improve deprived areas and reducing the North/South divide. They'd rather get local councils to sign up for 'devolution', which is pretty much just a scheme for the Government to continue cutting funding towards local government while avoiding the flak for doing so. When cash starved local authorities have to cut even more public services, the Government will just say "it's not our fault, the local (usually Labour) council manage the budget so blame them".

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
Cod Cheeks
November 24, 2015, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you/we/Fenty are prepared to wait for all the red tape, compulsory purchase orders, demolitions etc. Haven't we waited long enough?

Yes I think it worth a bit longer to get it right
In my opinion freemo/docks would be best for all of Grimsby all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
November 24, 2015, 7:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

From what has been said in the press, it seems on the face of it that the Council has at last understood a new community type stadium is the ideal thing to reinvigorate a part of the town that is run down.

This is a far cry from the previous ideas that we needed a new stadium because Mr. Fenty didn't want us to stay at BP because he was losing too much money.

If the Council are being truthful, then I see this as a sea change and we can indulge them a few months more, in good faith, for them to make a final decision on which site would be best.

If they choose another site apart from Peaks Parkway I wonder how Mr.Fenty will react? It is vital we have a site that not only ticks all the boxes but that the stadium complex itself will be an iconic part of the town for several generations.

So I would wait a bit longer, yes. It is amazing this day and age how quickly things can move once they have been agreed, but on the other hand I have said many times that I don't think I will see a new stadium but even I am encouraged by the noises coming from the Council.

If we are disappointed again however, then they better get their tin hats on.  

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
MuddyWaters
November 24, 2015, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker

From what has been said in the press, it seems on the face of it that the Council has at last understood a new community type stadium is the ideal thing to reinvigorate a part of the town that is run down.

This is a far cry from the previous ideas that we needed a new stadium because Mr. Fenty didn't want us to stay at BP because he was losing too much money.

If the Council are being truthful, then I see this as a sea change and we can indulge them a few months more, in good faith, for them to make a final decision on which site would be best.

If they choose another site apart from Peaks Parkway I wonder how Mr.Fenty will react? It is vital we have a site that not only ticks all the boxes but that the stadium complex itself will be an iconic part of the town for several generations.

So I would wait a bit longer, yes. It is amazing this day and age how quickly things can move once they have been agreed, but on the other hand I have said many times that I don't think I will see a new stadium but even I am encouraged by the noises coming from the Council.

If we are disappointed again however, then they better get their tin hats on.  

Back in the real world, how long do you think it would take to get the CPOs to buy all the properties they would need to demolish on the East Marsh and removals of Listed building statuses etc on the Docks. I'm not known for my support for John Fenty but I'm right behind him on this one. Of course it would be great to re-invigorate depressed areas of the town but let's be a little bit more realistic about what's involved.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
louth_in_the_south
November 24, 2015, 9:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Just a thought but when BP was built back whenever , would it have been considered an edge of town development similar to Peaks Parkway is now for us . In other words it probably would become surrounded by housing developments in the next 20 years giving it a more community feel .
I'd love it to be down freemo / docks area but can't see it baring a miracle or two .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
ginnywings
November 24, 2015, 9:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Just a thought but when BP was built back whenever , would it have been considered an edge of town development similar to Peaks Parkway is now for us . In other words it probably would become surrounded by housing developments in the next 20 years giving it a more community feel .
I'd love it to be down freemo / docks area but can't see it baring a miracle or two .

The houses were there before the ground which was moved from the Park Street area in 1899.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Widening-boundary/story-12732864-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
ginnywings
November 24, 2015, 9:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Sorry that's wrong. They moved form Clee Park to Abbey Park in 1889, then onto BP in 1899.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2015, 12:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Back in the real world, how long do you think it would take to get the CPOs to buy all the properties they would need to demolish on the East Marsh and removals of Listed building statuses etc on the Docks. I'm not known for my support for John Fenty but I'm right behind him on this one. Of course it would be great to re-invigorate depressed areas of the town but let's be a little bit more realistic about what's involved.

Well the council are in a better position to judge on these things and it would be ridiculous for them to prefer a site with no chance of going ahead - I might be wrong but I thought this process was to decide the best site whilst also taking into account whether it was actually feasible.

Like you, I have very little confidence in the council, but I am only going by what they are now saying. If they lead us up a blind alley then we will all be very miffed to say the least. I personally don't think we will see a new stadium anywhere, but we will see what transpires in the new year.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
toontown
November 25, 2015, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Yes and when the independent review by experts took place it rated freemo joint LAST on suitability/viability - the council added it to the shortlist anyway. As others have said this seems very odd, perhaps some influential people on the council wish to attempt to drive the freemo site to help with regeneration regardless of whether it's suitable or viable (due to the issues mentioned above)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
arryarryarry
November 25, 2015, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Are we anywhere nearer a new ground than we were 20 years ago?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
ackomariner
November 25, 2015, 10:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry
Are we anywhere nearer a new ground than we were 20 years ago?

Got no plans drawn up, don't know where it can be built, don't know where the money to pay for it is coming from......so I would say no

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2015, 3:42am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

The houses were there before the ground which was moved from the Park Street area in 1899.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Widening-boundary/story-12732864-detail/story.html

I did a quick check in the Dowling book on the development of Cleethorpes, and it shows the area bordered by what is now the Osmond Stand down to Warneford Road, and Grimsby Road to the railway was undeveloped as late as 1906.

Bob Lincoln said that the club had the chance of buying enough land not only for the football ground, but also for a cricket pitch, tennis courts etc. The proposal from some directors was to acquire the lease for the whole area and do just that, but in what Lincoln called short-sightedness, the board voted to the just buy the lease for enough land for the football ground. If this was correct we would have been able to redevelop in the BP area.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Davec
November 26, 2015, 6:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
KingstonMariner

Somebody will start blaming Fenty for that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
ginnywings
November 26, 2015, 8:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I did a quick check in the Dowling book on the development of Cleethorpes, and it shows the area bordered by what is now the Osmond Stand down to Warneford Road, and Grimsby Road to the railway was undeveloped as late as 1906.

Bob Lincoln said that the club had the chance of buying enough land not only for the football ground, but also for a cricket pitch, tennis courts etc. The proposal from some directors was to acquire the lease for the whole area and do just that, but in what Lincoln called short-sightedness, the board voted to the just buy the lease for enough land for the football ground. If this was correct we would have been able to redevelop in the BP area.

That's reflected in the house styles. Up to Manchester Street they are Victorian terraced but parts of Manchester Street, all of Warneford Road and Oliver Street, the houses are more Edwardian in style.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
Rik e B
November 26, 2015, 1:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Davec
KingstonMariner

Somebody will start blaming Fenty for that

Dam straight.

I blame Fenty for Mars slowing losing its atmosphere these last couple of million years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2015, 5:43pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B

Dam straight.

I blame Fenty for Mars slowing losing its atmosphere these last couple of million years.

Used to be a cracking atmosphere there. Now it's dead but the Martians' away following is great - that "oh laa!" chant is awesome  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust View on new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.