Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumours - just one thread, please !!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 66 Guests

Rumours - just one thread, please !!

This thread currently has 630,904 views. Print
298 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
June 14, 2022, 7:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Grimsby2012
People actually think Mcatee is worth 1 million?

Absolutely no way

He wasn't even in the top 10 goal scorers last season

We all know how good he is and a full season without injury I'm sure he'll be amongst the top scorers in league 2, but let's get real hear. A striker not in rhe top 10 for a conference team would be lucky to get 200k, maybe 300k if the potential is clearly there.

Regardless of whether we are now a league 2 team he can only be valued on two things. Performances in the previous season in a lower league, and the value he has to the team he is with.

Grimsby may, and probably do value him much higher than his market value, but realisticly he's a top 15 conference scorer with 1 year left in his contract.

The beat thing we can do now is to give him a 3 year contract and a season to prove himself in the league. Maybe then he will be worth a million

Not really a striker though is he? He's a No 10, who can score and make goals. He affects the game not just in the box, but outside it too.

Not saying you are wrong about his value right now, but you seem to be judging him solely on his goal return.

He was instrumental in us winning at Wrexham for instance, despite only scoring 1 of the 5 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 2971
MuddyWaters
June 14, 2022, 7:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Grimsby2012
People actually think Mcatee is worth 1 million?

Absolutely no way

He wasn't even in the top 10 goal scorers last season

We all know how good he is and a full season without injury I'm sure he'll be amongst the top scorers in league 2, but let's get real hear. A striker not in rhe top 10 for a conference team would be lucky to get 200k, maybe 300k if the potential is clearly there.

Regardless of whether we are now a league 2 team he can only be valued on two things. Performances in the previous season in a lower league, and the value he has to the team he is with.

Grimsby may, and probably do value him much higher than his market value, but realisticly he's a top 15 conference scorer with 1 year left in his contract.

The beat thing we can do now is to give him a 3 year contract and a season to prove himself in the league. Maybe then he will be worth a million

He’s a game changer and a match winner. He’s also still only 22. Putting price tags on players heads is a bit bonkers but there’s only a few players at our level capable of doing what McAtee does.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 2971
DaleH
June 14, 2022, 8:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +810
Gold Stars: 168
Some interesting stuff to read in this thread. I will put my ten penneth in for what it's worth.

Having taken time to digest the in's and out's of the retained list, and considered those we have also made offers to for remaining, I would say that we have got a very very exciting few weeks ahead of us, watching which personnel Paul Hurst secures.

There is one thing you can say about Paul Hurst for sure, and that is that he has been consistently good at bringing players into our club, and that he has unearthed some gems along the way too. Plus, Paul's stock is very high out there at the moment in the world of professional football, and he wont have any shortage of very good players wanting to join him. Additionally, after the last few weeks of fantastic and exciting football on the TV in the play offs, I am sure there will be many players out there for who Grimsby would now be high up on their list of clubs that they would like to be at.

The club will benefit from all of the positive stuff that has happened recently, on the crest of a wave. And when you are on that crest of the wave, its important that you ride it well, and I have no doubt that we will.

So in summary, now isn't the time to get the jitters about any players that are leaving, or one that might attract the interest of a bigger club. Now is actually the time to be very excited about which players are about to join us, and I suspect there will be some very very good signings in the coming weeks.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 2971
Superdan147
June 14, 2022, 8:48am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from DaleH
Some interesting stuff to read in this thread. I will put my ten penneth in for what it's worth.

Having taken time to digest the in's and out's of the retained list, and considered those we have also made offers to for remaining, I would say that we have got a very very exciting few weeks ahead of us, watching which personnel Paul Hurst secures.

There is one thing you can say about Paul Hurst for sure, and that is that he has been consistently good at bringing players into our club, and that he has unearthed some gems along the way too. Plus, Paul's stock is very high out there at the moment in the world of professional football, and he wont have any shortage of very good players wanting to join him. Additionally, after the last few weeks of fantastic and exciting football on the TV in the play offs, I am sure there will be many players out there for who Grimsby would now be high up on their list of clubs that they would like to be at.

The club will benefit from all of the positive stuff that has happened recently, on the crest of a wave. And when you are on that crest of the wave, its important that you ride it well, and I have no doubt that we will.

So in summary, now isn't the time to get the jitters about any players that are leaving, or one that might attract the interest of a bigger club. Now is actually the time to be very excited about which players are about to join us, and I suspect there will be some very very good signings in the coming weeks.

Totally agree, exciting times, I don’t believe there’s many better recruiters out there than Paul hurst. He’s meticulous, hard working and superb at spotting a player. With the new owners and record season ticket sales imminent, I can only imagine the budget is higher than it’s been for a very long time, and like you said, these televised games would of done us no harm in potential signings. I’d love the core to stay but I’m convinced we will sign a few gems in the coming weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 2971
DB
June 14, 2022, 9:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.35
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from DaleH

I couldn't have put it any better. Keep the squad and add to it with some quality for another promotion push. We're going places and all players want to be part of that formula.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 2971
Maringer
June 14, 2022, 9:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,702
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think McAtee would be valued at near a million at present, but let's hope he is following a productive season in the Football League.

As I mentioned during the play-off run, I think he was actually more effective playing with the shoulder problem as he wasn't getting into the argy bargy of play as much as usual and was instead letting his movement and ability do the talking. When he's recovered from his shoulder operation, he'll hopefully take this into account. Aggression is good to some degree but you're better off outplaying your opponents if you've got the ability to do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 2971
sam gy
June 14, 2022, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,481
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Has he? Yet Hurst doesn't trust him enough to play him in the middle of Midfield?

Very silly statement, IMO. This notion that playing out wide is somewhat of a ‘lesser’ position is laughable. He’s played 44 games this season…does it matter that they’ve not all been in CM, just because that’s the position he first came through playing? Football has moved on, players are flexible and can play in various positions – it’s not Football Manager.

Also, its all about getting the best out of the squad you’ve got…Fox and Holohan compliment each other well in the middle, so why not utilise Harry’s attributes elsewhere? I’d argue that having the likes of Harry, Mcatee and to a lesser extent Sousa harassing from the front has been instrumental in our success.

Could he do better in front of goal? Well yeah…but 7 goals isn’t a bad return at all...it's better than some of our strikers in recent years.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 2971
TownSNAFU5
June 14, 2022, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
When assessing McAtee allow for the fact that he is still only 22, still developing his basic fitness to complete 90 minutes frequently.  He was also subbed in all 3 critical playoff matches, despite being a key player.   Hurst said they are continuing to resolve his cramping issues.

He has tremendous energy but needs to use it more wisely. For the benefit of himself and the team.

Goals:  he had 2 long(ish) injury layoffs last season and a red card suspension.  With the capacity to play a lot more games he could have scored say 25 goals.  He is more than a goalscorer though, as identified above, he is that very valuable and rare breed - a scorer and creator of chances and goals.

Top players score very good goals - and in key games.  His goals at Wrexham was pure class, another just offside and another good shot just missed the post. He could easily have had a first half hat trick.

He is the heart and driving force of the team.  People are enthused to watch such an exciting player. He is a "cheeky chappie", a scallywag with mischief,  similar to Cantona was at United.  He brings more to the team than the individual aspects of his game.

Besides general improvement in his game, his decision-making and passing in the final third needs to improve.  A simple 10 yard pass to another player for a shot at goal can go way wide. Good coaching should fix these occasional rushes of blood.

Finishing on a positive.  Like his younger brother at City, he has good football pedigree. A good and quick brain.   At freekicks or throw ins, at the last second he can quickly dart into open space that he has found to receive the ball. Other players are not usually on the same wavelength though.

I think that he will improve next season at the higher level, and with bigger challenges.  Any valuation would be more accurate in a years time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 2971
HoratiusEberlin
June 14, 2022, 11:19am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +216
Gold Stars: 10
He can also receive the ball on the half turn (a hard-to-find skill outside the top three leagues), has great close control, speed of thought and his pressing of the opponent's back line and midfield did so much for us in terms of getting the team up the pitch and highlighting how possible it is to force players into mistakes. When he was missing from the team it was so apparent that our other players weren't galvanised in the same way and our play noticeably slowed down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 2971
DaleH
June 14, 2022, 12:31pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +810
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from HoratiusEberlin
He can also receive the ball on the half turn (a hard-to-find skill outside the top three leagues), has great close control, speed of thought and his pressing of the opponent's back line and midfield did so much for us in terms of getting the team up the pitch and highlighting how possible it is to force players into mistakes. When he was missing from the team it was so apparent that our other players weren't galvanised in the same way and our play noticeably slowed down.

Are you really suggesting that receiving the ball on the half turn is a hard to find skill amongst pro players in the top three leagues? It amazes me that you feel that is something that is lacking in pro football. As a coach and developer of young players, this is a good habit that I have seen coached to children as young as 9, receiving the ball across their body onto the back foot on the half turn. It's not so much a difficult skill to utilise, but more of a good habit that you work with youngsters to establish, combined with scanning and movement into a space that gives them the opportunity  to open up their body in order to be able to receive on the half turn and play forwards quickly. It therefore amazes me that you feel that this basic skill/habit is something that is lacking in the top three leagues of pro football.  

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 2971
298 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumours - just one thread, please !!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.